- AF = Ancestral File
- AFN = Ancestral File Number
- BEPS = Baptism, Endowment, Sealed to Parents, Sealed to Spouse
- BIC = Born in the Covenant
- BMD = Birth, Marriage, Death
- FAQ = Frequently Asked Questions
- FHC = Family History Center
- FS = Family Search
- FSBeta = Family Search Beta
- GEDCOM - Format for easily sharing data
- GSU - Genealogical Society of Utah - partnered with FHC on many projects
- IGI = International Genealogical Index
- MRIN - Computer generated number for marriage
- NEW.FS = New Family Search
- Ordinance Index = List of temple work already provided up to July 2009.
- PAF = Personal Ancestral File
- Pedigree Resource File - a program instigated after the Ancestral file was closed.
- PERSI = Periodical Source Index
- RIN - Computer generated number for individuals
- Temple Ready - is now replaced by new.familysearch. It means checking the IGI and new.familysearch for ordinances already done.
- TIB = Temple Index Bureau
- URL = Uniform Resource Locator = website address
- B = birth
- M = marriage
- D = death
- Bu = burial
- Chr = Christening [not LDS blessing]
Sunday, July 4, 2010
The Secret Code
Genealogists have their own lingo and we tend to ramble on using this "secret code" without blinking an eye or realizing that the person they are talking to might not understand what they are saying. This is the code to some of the things genealogists are using.